Holiday seasons, like Christmas, can be quite an emotional period for many people. It is an occasion when people can spend many months planning for. This should be an opportunity for us to care about others and give to others. Everyone actually feel differently during this opportunity, we could actually feel worried, elated, depressed, lonely, joyful, sad, excited and happy for many different reasons. This is also the time when we spend a lot of many for different purposes and this fact alone could cause anxiety. In general, we should be able to control our emotion whenever we can by understanding how to control our finances.
Here are things we should do during holiday season:
- Never go overboard: We should write a list of things that we want to buy during this opportunity. In this case, we should put a definite limit on the amount of money we should spend each individual. We may need to write down specific ideas of what we should buy for specific person. Giving gifts can offer us special meaning that’s worth more than their dollars values, but it is still imprudent if we could potentially have financial problems by giving lavish gifts to everyone.
- Instruct children: We should instruct children that it is a bad idea to offer too many gifts to their friends. We shouldn’t be pressured into thinking that our children should give fancy gifts to their friends. We won’t become bad parents by trying to save money. This should be an easy thing to do if we already educate our children about the importance of saving money, long before the holiday season.
- Spend more time at home: We tend to spend more money when we are outside. There are many things we could at home, such as doing jig saw puzzles or playing board games together. We could also spend time with families watching interesting videos in YouTube, if there’s nothing good on TV. Alternatively, we could join any neighbourhood activity that commemorates the festivity and holiday season.
- Have low-cost family traditions: Each family can start their own traditions during the holiday season, such as decorating the house and hanging some lights. We could cook favourite dishes, cakes and biscuits at home. We may also go to the local places of worships, if there are some events or religious ceremonies held there.
- Give to the unfortunates: Instead of giving away lavish gifts to friends, it would be a good idea to give presents to others less fortunate. We could participate in local charity events. It is also possible to make monetary donations on our name. Another idea is to visit elderly houses whenever possible.
In general, we shouldn’t let our holiday season gets out of hand by doing improper things financially. Many people become depressed by their worsening financial situation after a holiday season. There’s nothing worse than experiencing financial damages due to inappropriate financial actions that we did.