A process paper has a goal of explaining to a reader how something works. This type of academic essay can describe the process of how something occurs. In college and academic curriculum, custom Process Paper Assignment may focus on psychological development stages, building a marketing plan, scientific processes in chemistry and physics, presenting in-depth analysis of historical changes in stages, installing a software. Also known as “how-to” essay, the paper provides instructions how to carry out a certain procedure or a task. Finding a proper topic for process essay is a number one step.
Brainstorming Ideas and Writing Paper: 6 Easy Steps
The first and most vital step in writing is to brainstorm ideas. To do that
1. Take a sheet of paper and draw a line in the middle to make 2 columns.
2. Label columns “Materials” and “Steps”.
3. Sit down and think about every step in the process of describing the selected process. What needs to be done precisely to carry out the task.
4. Do not keep things in order, rearrange it later on. Concentrate on emptying your head.
5. After every possible fact has been written out, move to number the facts, stages or actions on your brainstorming page. If you find some things irrelevant, cross them out. The written steps need to be detailed and precise, resulting in neat process descriptions.
6. Start working on precise outline of your process paper. Remember:
a) the paper may contain numbered lists for easier reading and comprehension;
b) the essay may be presented in a form of narrative paper as well if it benefits your topic;
c) if your assignment suggests a step-by-step instruction without using numbers, use standard essay structure with introduction, three body paragraphs and conclusion.
d) the process paper introduction focuses to deliver comprehensive explanation to show a reader why your paper is relevant and important. If a paper is about “How to Wash Your Pet”, specify why your pet’s hygiene is essential of its health.
e) The first body paragraph should contain a list of materials necessary to carry out process instructions precisely.
f) The second body paragraph should present the list if the enumerated instructions or steps on how to do something.
g) The third paragraph (if one is necessary) may contain additional remarks or important details on how to carry out the process with extra attention and precision
h) The conclusion should state a summary, restate thesis statement using different words and tips on what results should be like if the process is carried out correctly. To finish up, re-state why the process was performed in the first place, accentuating the importance of the topic that you have selected.
Additional Tips on Writing Process Paper
• How-to’ and Explanation. There are two basic types of process paper. 1) How-to paper targets to deliver steps on how to carry out a specific process, i.e. accomplish something. 2) Explanation paper narrates how something occurs. It does not suggest to carry out steps.
• Steps identification and Organization. Prewriting is essential for process paper to make sure all details, facts, range of materials and steps are included.
• Use of powerful forming transitions. They are: at first, initially, begin by/with, before, later, while, then, during, as soon as, when, until, at last, finally, to summarize, in conclusion, etc.